How Do I File For Continued Weekly Benefits?
After you file your initial claim, you will receive a Claim for Benefits form to claim your weekly unemployment benefits. The Claim for Benefits form and the unemployment check are attached to one another; the form is actually the check envelope. The date and telephone number to claim benefits will be printed at the top of the form. You will be assigned a Wednesday to call for the first time. After that, you will be asked to call on a specific Monday or Tuesday. If you miss your assigned date, you should call on the Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday immediately following your assigned date. If you don't call as directed, benefits may be delayed or denied.
Your unemployment benefits must be claimed by telephone unless, during the week(s) you are claiming, you:
- Returned to fulltime work;
- Performed any commission or selfemployment work;
- Are entitled to holiday or vacation pay.
If any of these conditions apply to you during the week(s) claimed, you must claim your benefits by mail.
An Internet application for claiming weekly unemployment benefits can be located at www.njuifile.net . You may voluntarily choose to use this site to claim your benefits instead of claiming them by telephone or mail. If you choose to file via the Internet, you must file on your assigned reporting date (your assigned reporting date is located under your name and address on the "Claim for Benefits" form that is mailed to you). If you miss your assigned reporting date, you should file on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday immediately following your assigned date.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in New Jersey?
- When Is Overtime Pay Due?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Does Not Pay Me All The Money I Am Owed?
- How Often Must An Employee Be Paid?
- Are Employers Required To Pay Benefits (Vacation, Sick, Severance, Holiday Pay)?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- Am I Entitled To Rest Or Lunch Breaks?
- When Does An Employer Have To Pay Final Wages To A Terminated Employee?
- Are All Employees Working In New Jersey Covered By The Laws Enforced By The Division Of Wage And Hour Compliance?
- Is An Employment Certificate Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- Are There Limits On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- How Do I File An Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- What Is The Weekly Benefit Amount?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- What Will Happen If I Am Overpaid?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Denial Of Benefits?
- What Are The Criteria That Determine Liability For Unemployment Taxes?
- As An Employer, What Are My Responsibilities For Tax And Wage Reporting?
- How Do I Receive The Quarterly Reports I Must File?
- What Specific Information Is Required From Employers On Wage Reports?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements For A Reimbursement Account?
- How Are Unemployment Benefits Charged To My Account?