Whom Do I Report?
You must file a report on all newly hired and rehired employees. A rehired employee is one who is returning to work for you after a permanent separation, or one who is returning to work after a 26 consecutive week break in service for any reason. Rehires also include those seasonal employees who return to work after a break in service of 10 weeks or more, and for whom, at the time of the layoff, you were under an order to withhold wages.
You must also file a New Hire Report for an independent contractor if the contract for services is with an individual or sole proprietor, and you expect reimbursement for services to meet or exceed $2,500 in a calendar year's time.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in New Hampshire?
- When Must Overtime Be Paid?
- Am I Entitled To Rest Or Lunch Periods?
- Can An Employee Be Fired Without Being Given A Reason Or A Notice?
- When Are Wages Due Upon Separation From Employment?
- Is An Employer Required To Provide The Employee With Access To Their Personnel File?
- Is An Employment Certificate Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
- Are There Occupations That Are Prohibited For Minors?
- Where Can I Get Additional Information On Child Labor?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- How Do I File An Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- What Will Happen After I File My Initial Claim?
- How Do I File Continued Claims For Weekly Benefits?
- What Determines My Benefit Amount?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Work Part Time And Still Receive Benefits?
- What If I Do Not Agree With The Determination That I Receive?
- What Happens After I File My Appeal?
- What Happens At An Appeal Hearing?
- What If I Disagree With The Decision Of The Appeal Tribunal?
- Should I Continue To File Claims While My Determination Is Under Appeal?
- What Is "New Hire Reporting"?
- How Do I File New Hire Reports?