What Will Happen After I File My Initial Claim?
A Determination regarding your eligibility will be mailed to you. If you are eligible for any payment, your check is usually mailed the same day as the Determination. If you are unemployed due to lack of work, and there are no problems associated with your claim, you can generally expect to receive your first check within two weeks from the day you filed your initial claim.
While claims with problems do take longer to process, you can usually expect to receive your written Determination within three weeks of the date you filed your initial claim. If the Determination states you are allowed benefits, you can expect a check to follow for all of the weeks you have filed for within two to three days. If your Determination states you are denied benefits, you can file an appeal if you disagree with the Determination.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in New Hampshire?
- When Must Overtime Be Paid?
- Am I Entitled To Rest Or Lunch Periods?
- Can An Employee Be Fired Without Being Given A Reason Or A Notice?
- When Are Wages Due Upon Separation From Employment?
- Is An Employer Required To Provide The Employee With Access To Their Personnel File?
- Is An Employment Certificate Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
- Are There Occupations That Are Prohibited For Minors?
- Where Can I Get Additional Information On Child Labor?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- How Do I File An Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I File Continued Claims For Weekly Benefits?
- What Determines My Benefit Amount?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Work Part Time And Still Receive Benefits?
- What If I Do Not Agree With The Determination That I Receive?
- What Happens After I File My Appeal?
- What Happens At An Appeal Hearing?
- What If I Disagree With The Decision Of The Appeal Tribunal?
- Should I Continue To File Claims While My Determination Is Under Appeal?
- What Is "New Hire Reporting"?
- Whom Do I Report?
- How Do I File New Hire Reports?