What If I Am Overpaid?
Occasionally, benefits are improperly paid. Overpayments may occur for a variety of reasons which may include, but are not limited to: claimant error, appeal reversals, fraud, failure to report earnings or income, or division errors. All overpaid benefits must be repaid to the division.
The division may withhold your weekly benefit entitlement and apply that amount to repay the overpayment. You may be eligible for a reduced weekly withholding. Contact the Benefit Payment Control Collections office at (775) 6840475 to discuss your eligibility for this option. You may also apply for this option through the Telephone Claim Center.
If you feel that repaying the overpayment would cause you extreme hardship, you may request that the overpayment amount be waived. Waiver request must be in writing and include all financial and/or personal circumstances to support your claim of hardship.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in Nevada?
- How Often Must I Be Paid?
- What Can Be Deducted From My Wages?
- Am I Entitled To Rest Or Meal Breaks?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without A Reason?
- When Does My Employer Have To Pay Me After I Quit Or Have Been Fired?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Does Not Pay Me My Wages?
- How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- How Do I Know I Am Eligible?
- What Will My Benefit Amount Be?
- When Will I Get My Check?
- How Do I File For Continued Benefits?
- Can I Work Part Time And Still Receive Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
- What Will Occur After I File An Appeal?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
- Is An Employment Certificate Required To Hire A Minor?
- Are Any Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Is Apprenticeship Training?
- Who Is Eligible For Apprenticeship Programs?
- How Much Pay Does An Apprenticeship Receive?