What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
If you have been denied benefits, a factfinding interview is conducted to determine whether or not benefits may be paid under Nevada law. The interview is conducted by a nonpartial representative called an adjudicator. Adjudicators review separation from the last employer, as well as the nexttolast employer if the last period of employment was less than 16 weeks. If either of these separations was for a reason other than a lack of work, the adjudicator will issue a determination as to whether that separation is disqualifying under the law.
If either claimant or employer disagree with the determination, they have the right to appeal the decision and obtain a fair hearing before a separate and impartial appeal referee. An appeal must be filed within 10 days of the date the decision was mailed to you. You may appeal the decision by sending a letter to the address shown on the decision requesting an appeal. Be sure to include your name, Social Security number, and the basis of your appeal. You must sign your appeal request.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in Nevada?
- How Often Must I Be Paid?
- What Can Be Deducted From My Wages?
- Am I Entitled To Rest Or Meal Breaks?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without A Reason?
- When Does My Employer Have To Pay Me After I Quit Or Have Been Fired?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Does Not Pay Me My Wages?
- How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- How Do I Know I Am Eligible?
- What Will My Benefit Amount Be?
- When Will I Get My Check?
- How Do I File For Continued Benefits?
- Can I Work Part Time And Still Receive Benefits?
- What If I Am Overpaid?
- What Will Occur After I File An Appeal?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
- Is An Employment Certificate Required To Hire A Minor?
- Are Any Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Is Apprenticeship Training?
- Who Is Eligible For Apprenticeship Programs?
- How Much Pay Does An Apprenticeship Receive?