How Do I File An Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?

All Unemployment Insurance benefit claims are filed by calling a Claims Center and completing the claim by telephone. Please have the following information available when you make your call:

  • Your Social Security Number;
  • Alien Registration Number (If you are not a U.S. Citizen);
  • Nebraska Drivers License Number or Nebraska ID (If you have one);
  • Complete names and addresses of all employers, and the dates that you worked for them during the past 18 months.

To file an initial New Claim application or to reopen an existing claim:

Lincoln Area (402) 458­2500
Omaha Area (402) 829­2800
Toll Free Number 1­877­725­9918

To file a Weekly Claim for a Benefit Check:

Lincoln Area (402) 471­7850
Omaha Area (402) 595­1030
Toll­Free Number 1­888 ­298­3455

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law for Employees Resources