Can I Be Fired For No Good Reason?

No. Montana is not an "at will" state. In some instances, the Wrongful Discharge From Employment Act does not apply, but generally, once an employee has completed the established probationary period, the employer needs to have good cause for termination. Individuals who believe they were wrongfully discharged must seek civil compensation through the courts, because there is no state agency that administers the Wrongful Discharge From Employment Act. Persons who believe they were fired as a result of unlawful discrimination, may contact the Human Rights Bureau at 1­800­542­0807 or 406­444­2884 or the U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at 1­800­669­4000.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law for Employees Resources