What Is Prevailing Wage?
Prevailing wage is the minimum wage amount that workers on Missouri public works construction projects must be paid. It is required by law and determined by actual hours worked, for a particular occupational title (classification/trade), in each county throughout the state.
The Division of Labor Standards issues the Annual Wage Order each year. It contains the proper hourly wage rates, overtime, holiday and make up schedules for workers on prevailing wage projects.
Contractors, public bodies and others submit wage information on wage survey forms to the Division. The information includes actual hours worked on commercial or heavy and highway projects in Missouri. The Occupational Title (classification) of workers must be identified. The highest number of survey hours received for an hourly wage rate paid is the prevailing wage rate for each individual Occupational Title in each county.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Is The Minimum Age For Employment?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor Can Work?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What If Missouri And Federal Child Labor Law Do Not Agree?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Rest Or Meal Breaks?
- Are Benefits Such As Vacation, Sick Leave And Health Insurance Required?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- Can An Employer Require Their Employees To Work More Than Eight Hours A Day Or More Than 40 Hours Per Week?
- What is the minimum wage in Missouri?
- How Do I File An Initial Claim For Benefits?
- How Are My Benefits Figured?
- How Do I File My Weekly Claim?
- Can I Work Part Time And Receive Benefits?
- What Happens If I Receive An Overpayment?
- What Are Extended Benefits?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- How Do I Use The Modes-B-15 Card?
- As An Employer, How Do I Know If I Must Pay Unemployment Tax?
- What Will My Tax Rate Be?
- What Is The Taxable Wage Base?
- Where Can I Get More Information On Reporting Wages By Magnetic Media?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?
- How Should I Prepare For The Hearing?
- What Will Happen After The Hearing?
- Will The Labor And Industrial Relations Commission Hold Another Hearing?
- What Is The On-Site Workplace Safety And Health Consultation Program?
- What Is The Mine Safety Program?
- I Am A Contractor. Do I Need Training?
- What Types Of Mining Operations Does The State Of Missouri Inspect?
- How Can I Schedule A Consultation To Help Me Compile A Proper Mine Safety And Health Program?