What is the minimum wage in the state of Minnesota?
The minimum wage is $6.15 for employers whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is not less than $500,000. For employers whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is less than $500,000, the minimum wage is $5.25 per hour. An employer may pay $4.25 an hour to new employees who are under the age of 20 during their first 90 consecutive days of employment.
Minimum wage rates apply to all hours worked, whether part time or full time. No employer may take a tip credit against an employee's wage under Minnesota law. Exempt employees include: babysitters, taxicab drivers, volunteers of nonprofit organizations, elected government officials, people providing police or fire protection and employees subject to the provisions of the U.S. Department of Transportation (drivers, drivers' helpers, mechanics and loaders).
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Rest Or Meal Breaks?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- What Is The Minimum Age For Employment?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor Can Work?
- Are Minors Prohibited From Working In Certain Occupations?
- Who May Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Much Are Unemployment Benefits In Minnesota?
- Once I'm Eligible, What Do I Do To Receive Benefits?
- Can I Work Part Time And Still Receive Benefits?
- Are My Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Receive Benefits While Attending School?
- How Do I Stop My Account If I Return To Work?
- What Is The New Hire Law?
- What Information Must I Report?
- How Do I Report?
- Do I Need To Report An Employee Who Worked For A Couple Of Hours Or Days And Then Quit?
- What If I Still Have More Questions About New Hire Reporting?
- Who Is Covered By Minnesota Prevailing Wage Laws?