How Do I File A Wage Claim?

An employee who believes that his or her employer has failed to pay wages or benefits may file a complaint with the Wage and Hour Division. A complaint must be filed within 12 months of the alleged violation. The Wage and Hour Division tries to complete investigations within 90 days. If a claim cannot be informally resolved, the Wage and Hour Division will issue a written determination that the employee or employer may appeal. A hearing before an administrative law judge will be scheduled. The Wage Complaint form and instructions are also available online.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law for Employees Resources