Which Employers Are Liable For Unemployment Tax?
In general, if you have people working one or more days in each of 13 weeks during a calendar year, or if you pay wages of $1,500 or more in any calendar quarter, you are liable for contributions. The weeks of employment need not be consecutive, nor must the employees remain the same.
As an agricultural employer, you are subject to the law if you paid total cash wages of $20,000 or more in any calendar quarter, or you employed 10 or more individuals on any day in each of 20 weeks in a calendar year.
If you employ domestic workers and paid $1,000 or more in cash wages in any calendar quarter, you are liable. This category includes private homeowners, clubs, college fraternities and sororities.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Is The Law Regarding Paydays?
- Are Companies Required To Give Vacations?
- Are Employees Entitled To Breaks?
- What Is The Minimum Hourly Wage An Employer Must Pay Employees In Massachusetts?
- What Is The Requirement For Overtime Pay?
- How Old Must A Minor Be To Work?
- Can A Child Be Employed On The Entertainment Industry?
- Is An Employment Permit Transferable From One Job To Another?
- Where Can I Get More Information On Child Labor Laws?
- What Is The Prevailing Wage?
- How Can An Employee Find The Prevailing Wage Rates For A Particular Job?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- What Is The Benefit Amount?
- How Do I File For Continued Weekly Benefits?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- Am I Still Eligible For Benefits If I Work Part Time?
- What Is The Medical Security Plan?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
- How Do I Register My Business?
- What Is The Contribution Rate?
- How Does An Employer Get Started To Use Webfile For Employers?
- What Is The Workforce Training Fund?
- Who Is Eligible For Training?
- What Kind Of Training Is Allowable?
- What Are The Matching Funds Requirements?
- How Will Grants Be Approved?
- How Can My Company Apply?