Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
Your unemployment insurance benefits are taxable. Any unemployment benefits you receive must be reported as part of your gross income on your federal and state income tax returns.
If you wish, you may choose to have federal and/or state taxes withheld from your unemployment benefit payments as you receive them. You may request to have federal and/or state taxes withheld from your weekly benefit check and forwarded by DET to the IRS and the DOR automatically. The federal tax withheld is currently 10 percent of your weekly benefit payment rate. The state tax withheld is currently 5.3 percent.
In order to have taxes withheld from your UI benefit payment, you must complete an Income Tax Withholding Request Form (Form W4VMA) .
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Is The Law Regarding Paydays?
- Are Companies Required To Give Vacations?
- Are Employees Entitled To Breaks?
- What Is The Minimum Hourly Wage An Employer Must Pay Employees In Massachusetts?
- What Is The Requirement For Overtime Pay?
- How Old Must A Minor Be To Work?
- Can A Child Be Employed On The Entertainment Industry?
- Is An Employment Permit Transferable From One Job To Another?
- Where Can I Get More Information On Child Labor Laws?
- What Is The Prevailing Wage?
- How Can An Employee Find The Prevailing Wage Rates For A Particular Job?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- What Is The Benefit Amount?
- How Do I File For Continued Weekly Benefits?
- Am I Still Eligible For Benefits If I Work Part Time?
- What Is The Medical Security Plan?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
- Which Employers Are Liable For Unemployment Tax?
- How Do I Register My Business?
- What Is The Contribution Rate?
- How Does An Employer Get Started To Use Webfile For Employers?
- What Is The Workforce Training Fund?
- Who Is Eligible For Training?
- What Kind Of Training Is Allowable?
- What Are The Matching Funds Requirements?
- How Will Grants Be Approved?
- How Can My Company Apply?