Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor May Be Employed?
Minors 14 and 15 years of age may not be employed or permitted to:
- work more than 4 hours on any day when school is in session
- work more than 8 hours a day on any day when school is not in session
- work more than 23 hours in any week when school is in session
- work more than 40 hours in any week when school is not in session
- work before 7:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m. Minors may work until 9:00 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day
- work more than 5 consecutive hours without a nonworking period of at least 30 minutes
Hours of work for minors employed by an employer covered by the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act are more restrictive than those allowed by Maryland law. In general, it is the more protective standards which apply
Minors 16 and 17 years of age:
- May spend no more than 12 hours in a combination of school hours and work hours each day.
- Must be allowed at least 8 consecutive hours of nonwork, nonschool time in each 24 hour period.
- May not be permitted to work more than 5 consecutive hours without a nonworking period of at least 30 minutes.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Is The Minimum Age For Employment?
- How Can A Minor Obtain A Work Permit?
- Where Can I Get Additional Information On Child Labor Laws?
- What Is The Law Regarding Paydays?
- Am I Entitled To Rest And Meal Breaks?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- Must My Employer Award Benefits?
- What is the minimum wage in Maryland?
- What Is The New Hire Law?
- What Information Must I Report?
- How Do I Report?
- As An Employer With Employees In More Than One State, Where Do I Report?
- Is There A Penalty For Not Reporting?
- Who Do I Contact If I Have Questions About New Hire Reporting?
- When Should I File My Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- What Information Do I Need To Have Before Filing A Claim?
- Can I File For Benefits If I Am Working Part-Time?
- How Much Can I Receive In Benefits?
- How Do I File Continued Claims?
- Are Unemployment Insurance Payments Taxable?
- Where Can I Call To Get More Information On Unemployment Insurance?
- How Does My Business Register As A "New" Employer?
- What Wages Are Taxable?
- What Is A "Reimbursable" Employer?
- How Are My Tax Rates Determined?
- How Does My Business File Quarterly Reports And Returns?
- How Does The Maryland Office Of Occupational Safety And Health Operate?
- What Happens If Violations Are Found During An Inspection?