How Do I Know If I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
To become liable for the payment of Maine Unemployment Tax, you must meet certain criteria. You must pay Maine unemployment tax if you have acquired a business, are liable to pay federal unemployment tax, or:
- You are an employer that paid gross wages of $1,500 or more in a single calendar quarter, or employed one or more persons for some portion of a day in twenty different weeks in a calendar year.
- You are a domestic employer that paid $1,000 in wages for domestic employment in any single calendar quarter.
- You are a 501,(C),3 nonprofit employer that employed four or more persons in one day in twenty different weeks in a calendar year.
- You are an agricultural employer that paid gross wages of $20,000 in any single calendar quarter, or employed ten or more persons in one day in twenty different weeks in a calendar year.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- What Is The Weekly Benefit Amount?
- Can I File A Claim Outside Of Maine?
- How Do I Claim Weekly Benefits?
- How Long Will It Take To Get My First Unemployment Check?
- How Will Earnings Affect My Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?
- When And Where Will My Hearing Occur?
- Do I Need To Be Represented By An Attorney?
- What Can I Expect To Happen After The Hearing?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Decision Of The Hearing Officer?
- How Do I Register For An Employer Tax Account?
- If I Am Determined To Be Liable, How And When Do I Pay My Taxes?
- What is the minimum wage in Maine?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Me With Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Leave?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Break Periods?
- What Is The Law Regarding Paydays?
- What Posters Must Be Displayed?
- Who Do I Contact With Questions About Workplace Discrimination?
- Can I Refuse To Take A Drug Test?
- Can My Employer Terminate Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?