How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
You must first establish monetary eligibility. This means that you must have adequate wages in your base period to establish eligibility. The base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters immediately preceding the first day of your benefit year. They will use the last four completed quarters if you are not eligible using the regular base period quarters. You must have earned at least $1091.88 in two quarters and a total of at least $3275.64 in the base period.
The monetary requirement means only that you have sufficient qualifying weeks and wages. You must meet all of the nonmonetary eligibility requirements as well.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Is The Weekly Benefit Amount?
- Can I File A Claim Outside Of Maine?
- How Do I Claim Weekly Benefits?
- How Long Will It Take To Get My First Unemployment Check?
- How Will Earnings Affect My Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?
- When And Where Will My Hearing Occur?
- Do I Need To Be Represented By An Attorney?
- What Can I Expect To Happen After The Hearing?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Decision Of The Hearing Officer?
- How Do I Know If I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- How Do I Register For An Employer Tax Account?
- If I Am Determined To Be Liable, How And When Do I Pay My Taxes?
- What is the minimum wage in Maine?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Me With Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Leave?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Break Periods?
- What Is The Law Regarding Paydays?
- What Posters Must Be Displayed?
- Who Do I Contact With Questions About Workplace Discrimination?
- Can I Refuse To Take A Drug Test?
- Can My Employer Terminate Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?