What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
You may appeal a Notice of Claim Determination within 15 days of the mailing date of the document. By doing so, you are requesting a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. The appeal may be filed by visiting the Job Center nearest your residence within 15 days of the mailing date of the form. You may also file the appeal by mail. Simply address your request to the office or unit listed on the determination, indicating that you wish to appeal.
When an appeal is filed, it is sent to the Appeals Section where an Administrative Law Judge reviews it and then schedules it for a hearing. A hearing notice will be mailed to the parties. Most hearings are conducted at the office where the claim was filed or at some other hearing location that is within 50 miles of both parties. If both parties are not within 50 miles of a common hearing location, the hearing would be conducted by telephone.
If you appeal as a claimant, you should continue to file weekly claims until a final decision is rendered or until you return to work.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- What Happens After I File My Claim?
- How Much Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- When Will I Receive My First Check?
- Can I Claim Weekly Benefits By Telephone?
- Are Ui Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Work And Still Receive Partial Benefits?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Quit Or I Am Fired?
- Does The Receipt Of Vacation Or Severance Pay Affect The Claim?
- Can The Employer Do Anything About The Claim?
- What Will Happen At The Appeals Hearing?
- What Happens After The Hearing?
- Which Employers Must Pay Unemployment Compensation Tax?
- What Is The Tax Rate?
- How Do I Pay My Unemployment Taxes?
- Please Explain The New Hire Program?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor Is Permitted To Work?
- Must My Employer Provide Rest Or Breaks?
- How Do I File A Claim For Discrimination?
- What is the minimum wage in Louisiana?