How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
The law sets qualifying requirements in three main areas: your past wages, your job separation, and ongoing availability and work search requirements. You must meet all of the following qualifying requirements in order to receive benefits.
Past Wages: You must have earned enough wages in your base period. The base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters before you filed your claim. Wages earned during the base period must be at least $1200 and equal to at least 1 1/2 times the high quarter wages.
Reason for separation from your last work: You must be unemployed or partially unemployed through no fault of your own in order to receive benefits.
Ongoing availability and work search: You must be physically able and available to work. You must also be actively seeking work. If you are temporarily laid off and have a definite returntowork date, your work search requirements may be waived.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- What Happens After I File My Claim?
- How Much Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- When Will I Receive My First Check?
- Can I Claim Weekly Benefits By Telephone?
- Are Ui Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Work And Still Receive Partial Benefits?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Quit Or I Am Fired?
- Does The Receipt Of Vacation Or Severance Pay Affect The Claim?
- Can The Employer Do Anything About The Claim?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
- What Will Happen At The Appeals Hearing?
- What Happens After The Hearing?
- Which Employers Must Pay Unemployment Compensation Tax?
- What Is The Tax Rate?
- How Do I Pay My Unemployment Taxes?
- Please Explain The New Hire Program?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor Is Permitted To Work?
- Must My Employer Provide Rest Or Breaks?
- How Do I File A Claim For Discrimination?
- What is the minimum wage in Louisiana?