What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?
Appeals from benefit determinations may be made by either the employer or the claimant and are heard by an Appeals Branch referee. Appeals must be made in writing. A letter to the Appeals Branch stating the intent to appeal is sufficient. Appeals may be addressed as follows:
275 East Main Street 2E
Frankfort, KY 40621
The referee will decide the appeal solely on the testimony and documents submitted at the hearing. The employer and the claimant (when applicable) should attend the hearing. A teleconference hearing will be scheduled if travel or any extenuating circumstance would create a hardship on either party.
The claimant and the employer may be represented by attorneys or other duly authorized agents of their own choosing, but this is not required. The referee will assist both parties at all times to bring out facts that will be helpful in properly presenting their cases. The claimant or employer should bring all reports and records that might prove his case. Witnesses should be prepared to answer all questions. Subpoenas for witnesses or records may be issued prior to the hearings, if necessary.
The decision will be mailed to the parties and will set forth the facts found from the evidence presented, the reasons for the decision and the decision itself. If either party is dissatisfied with the decision of the referee, a further appeal may be filed with the Unemployment Insurance Commission, and, thereafter, through the courts.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements To Draw Unemployment Benefits?
- How Is My Benefit Amount Determined?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Claim Partial Benefits?
- When Do Extended Benefits Go Into Effect?
- How Much Can A Claimant Receive In Extended Benefits?
- Please Explain Electronic Claims Filing.
- How Do I Know If I Am Liable For State Unemployment Taxes?
- How Do I Establish An Unemployment Tax Account?
- How Do I Report Wages And Pay Unemployment Tax?
- How Is My Tax Rate Determined?
- What Are Reimbursing Accounts?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- What Hours Can Children Work?
- Are There Certain Occupations That Are Prohibited For Minors?
- Where Can I Obtain More Information On Child Labor Laws?
- What is the minimum wage in Kentucky?
- How Soon Must My Employer Pay Me If I Quit?