What Are The Eligibility Requirements To Draw Unemployment Benefits?
To be eligible to receive benefits, the nonmonetary requirements each week are as follows:
- Be physically and mentally able to work.
- Be either totally unemployed or performing less than fulltime work and earning less than oneandonequarter (1¼) times your weekly benefit rate (a claimant earning less than this amount and working less than fulltime may qualify for partial benefits, with 80% of his earnings deducted from his weekly benefits).
- Be available for suitable work and making a reasonable effort to find employment.
- Register for work with the Department for Employment Services.
- Claim benefits for each week of unemployment.
You must also meet monetary requirements as follows:
- Earned at least $750 in one quarter of your base period;
- Total base period wages equal to at least 1 1/2 times your high quarter wages and total base period wages outside the high quarter must be at least $750; and
- wages in the last six months of your base period equal to not less than 8 times your weekly benefit rate.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Is My Benefit Amount Determined?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Claim Partial Benefits?
- When Do Extended Benefits Go Into Effect?
- How Much Can A Claimant Receive In Extended Benefits?
- Please Explain Electronic Claims Filing.
- How Do I Know If I Am Liable For State Unemployment Taxes?
- How Do I Establish An Unemployment Tax Account?
- How Do I Report Wages And Pay Unemployment Tax?
- How Is My Tax Rate Determined?
- What Are Reimbursing Accounts?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- What Hours Can Children Work?
- Are There Certain Occupations That Are Prohibited For Minors?
- Where Can I Obtain More Information On Child Labor Laws?
- What is the minimum wage in Kentucky?
- How Soon Must My Employer Pay Me If I Quit?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?