What Hours Can Children Work?
Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, children under sixteen can work between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., except from June 1 through Labor Day, when evening hours are extended to 9 p.m. If the employer is not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act, the hours are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. when school is in session.
Children under sixteen can work up to 3 hours on a school day, 18 hours in a school week, 8 hours on a nonschool day, 40 hours on a nonschool week. If the employer is not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act, the children under sixteen may not work more than 8 hours in one day, nor more than 40 hours in one week.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Do I Know If I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- What Is The Employer Contribution Rate?
- How Do I Report Wages And Pay Taxes?
- What Is The New Hire Law?
- Where Do I Report If I Have Employees In More Than One State?
- Where Can I Get More Information On The New Hire Program?
- How Old Does A Child Have To Be In Order To Work?
- Are There Certain Occupations That Are Prohibited For Minors?
- How Often Does My Employer Have To Pay Me?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- If I Am Overpaid, Can My Employer Deduct The Amount Of The Overpayment From My Paycheck?
- When Is My Employer Required To Pay Me Overtime?
- Does My Employer Have To Offer Vacation Or Sick Leave?
- Must An Employer Provide Rest Breaks For Workers?
- Is An Employee Required To Give Two Weeks Notice When Quitting A Job?
- Can My Employer Make Me Take A Drug Test?
- Is An Employer Required To Pay For Jury Duty Or Allow Time Off For Jury Duty?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Refuses To Pay Me?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- How Is My Benefit Amount Calculated?
- How Do I File Weekly Claims For Benefits?
- What Is A One-Week Waiting Period?
- Can I Work Part Time And Receive Benefits?
- Will Other Income Reduce My Benefits?
- What Are Extended Benefits?
- Are My Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Get Help Finding A Job?
- What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?