What Happens After I File My Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
After you file your claim, you will be mailed a form called the Monetary Record. This form will show:
- The beginning date of your claim.
- Your fourquarter base period.
- The gross wages paid to you in the base period by each employer that is covered by unemployment insurance.
- Your weekly benefit amount (WBA) if your earnings were high enough to qualify.
- Your maximum benefit amount (MBA).
You should receive your first check or direct deposit in about three weeks after you first apply for benefits if you meet all of the eligibility and monetary requirements. You will be paid biweekly unless you choose the directdeposit method. Direct deposit is the only method that allows weekly payment.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Can I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I Claim Weekly Benefits?
- How Much Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Work Part Time?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Attend School?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Denial Of Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Administrative Law Judges Decision?
- Who Are Liable Employers?
- How Do I Apply For An Iowa Unemployment Account?
- How Do I Report The Wages I Paid To My Employees?
- How Are Employer Accounts Charged For Benefits Paid?
- Where Can I Obtain Additional Information On Unemployment Insurance Taxes?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Posters Must An Employer Display?
- What is the minimum wage in Iowa?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?