What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Denial Of Benefits?
If you or the employer disagrees with a decision, either party has the right to appeal and present testimony to an administrative law judge. The appeal must be postmarked or received within 10 calendar days after the mailing date shown on the decision. You may mail your appeal to the Appeals Bureau, Iowa Workforce Development, 1000 East Grand, Des Moines, IA 503090209 or fax it to (515) 2425144. You may contact the Appeals Bureau at (515) 2813747 or the local Workforce Development Center to assist you in filing an appeal or answering general questions.
A formal hearing over the telephone with an administrative law judge is scheduled. However, you or the employer may request an inperson hearing. Either party may choose to be represented by a lawyer, at that party 's own expense. The administrative law judge makes an impartial decision based on the information presented at the hearing and the contents of your file. You will receive the administrative law judge's decision in the mail in about 10 to 14 days.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Can I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- What Happens After I File My Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I Claim Weekly Benefits?
- How Much Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Work Part Time?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Attend School?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Administrative Law Judges Decision?
- Who Are Liable Employers?
- How Do I Apply For An Iowa Unemployment Account?
- How Do I Report The Wages I Paid To My Employees?
- How Are Employer Accounts Charged For Benefits Paid?
- Where Can I Obtain Additional Information On Unemployment Insurance Taxes?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Posters Must An Employer Display?
- What is the minimum wage in Iowa?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?