Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
A work permit applies to minors ages 14 or 15 years old for most jobs in Iowa. Youth ages 10 through 15 must have work permits to deliver newspapers or shoppers, or perform any other street occupation such as selling items doortodoor. Those ages 12 through 16 years old working migrant labor must also get a work permit.
The youth must first have the employer complete the Employer Agreement For Minors Aged 14 & 15 stating the type of work to be done, and the hours to be worked. After completed, the parent/guardian signs this form and the youth must then provide in person to the Workforce Development Center the completed Employer Agreement Form, and acceptable evidence of age.
Employers may require a Certificate of Age for youth ages 16 and older. They can obtain one by appearing in person at the Workforce Development Center with acceptable evidence of age.
For more information on the Iowa Child Labor Law, contact the Iowa Division of Labor at (515) 2818493.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- How Can I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- What Happens After I File My Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I Claim Weekly Benefits?
- How Much Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Work Part Time?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Attend School?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Denial Of Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Administrative Law Judges Decision?
- Who Are Liable Employers?
- How Do I Apply For An Iowa Unemployment Account?
- How Do I Report The Wages I Paid To My Employees?
- How Are Employer Accounts Charged For Benefits Paid?
- Where Can I Obtain Additional Information On Unemployment Insurance Taxes?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Posters Must An Employer Display?
- What is the minimum wage in Iowa?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?