How Can I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
You may file an initial claim for unemployment insurance benefits using one of four methods:
- Online CLICK HERE
- By visiting the nearest Workforce Development Center and participating in an initialclaim group session;
- By calling the Unemployment Insurance Service Center at (877) 8915344 (tollfree outside the Des Moines area) or 2814199 (in the Des Moines calling area), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Central Standard Time.; or
- Through your most recent employer.
When you file your initial claim, you'll need to have the following information handy:
- Your Social Security number;
- The name, address and telephone number of your most recent employer, and the beginning and ending dates you worked for that employer;
- An Alien Registration number, if you are not a U.S. citizen;
- A DD214 (Member 4), if you served in the U.S. military during the last 18 months;
- An SF8 form, if you worked for the federal government in the last 18 months;
- The name(s) of anyone you will be claiming as a dependent, up to a maximum of four; and
- The amount your spouse earned in the preceding week, if you want to claim your spouse as a dependent (must be $120 or less to be claimed).
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Happens After I File My Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I Claim Weekly Benefits?
- How Much Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Work Part Time?
- Can I Receive Benefits If I Attend School?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Denial Of Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Administrative Law Judges Decision?
- Who Are Liable Employers?
- How Do I Apply For An Iowa Unemployment Account?
- How Do I Report The Wages I Paid To My Employees?
- How Are Employer Accounts Charged For Benefits Paid?
- Where Can I Obtain Additional Information On Unemployment Insurance Taxes?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Posters Must An Employer Display?
- What is the minimum wage in Iowa?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?