What Are The Eligibility Requirements To Receive Unemployment Benefits?
1. How much money you earned in the base period (wages):
Your base period is the first four quarters out of the last five completed quarters. You must have earned at least $2,750 in wages in the entire base period. You must have earned at least $1,650 in the last six months (two quarters) of your base period. The amount of money earned during your base period must be at least 1.25 times greater than the wages of your highest earning quarter.
2. Why you are unemployed:
You only qualify for Unemployment Insurance benefits if you are unemployed through no fault of your own.
3. If you are able, available, and actively seeking fulltime work:
Your benefits could be denied or reduced if you:
- refuse a suitable offer of work,
- fail to go to a job referral made by your local office,
- cannot show proof you are seeking employment, and/or
- are temporarily not available for work due to illness or injury. Benefits can be reduced by 1/3 of your Weekly Benefit Amount for each day you are unavailable.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in the Indiana?
- Can My Employer Terminate Me For No Reason?
- Must My Employer Pay Me For Sick Days, Personal Days And Holidays?
- Is My Employer Required To Give Me Time Off For Lunch Or Breaks?
- If I Am Fired, When Is My Last Paycheck Due?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor Is Permitted To Work?
- What Kind Of Jobs Are Minors Prohibited From Doing?
- Can I Work Two Part Time Jobs?
- How Much Compensation Can I Receive?
- How Do I File My Claim For Unemployment Benefits?
- Can I Collect Benefits If I Quit Or Am Fired From My Job?
- What Is An Overpayment?
- Do I Have To Pay Taxes On Unemployment Benefits?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Determination Of Eligibility?
- What Can I Do If I Disagree With The Aljs Decision?
- What Employers Are Required To Pay Unemployment Taxes?
- How Do I Set Up A Tax Account?
- What Is The Tax Rate That A New Employer Will Have To Pay?
- Where Can I Get More Information On Suta?
- Please Explain The New Hire Program
- How Do I Report New Hires?