How Do I File My Claim For Unemployment Benefits?

Go to the nearest Indiana Workforce Development unemployment insurance office and file an initial claim. You will need the following information:
  • Complete name and address
  • Social Security number
  • Personal identification
  • Your most recent employer's name and address
  • The dates you worked for this employer
  • The reason you are unemployed
Indiana law requires you to register for work at an Indiana Workforce Development office. You will receive in the mail a claim voucher for your one week waiting period. You will not be paid for your one week waiting period. However, you still need to fill out the voucher and return it by mail or in person when you visit the office. The following week, you will be mailed a voucher to fill out and return for your first week's claim. You will receive your first check approximately one week after you mail your second voucher. Each week, you will be mailed a voucher to fill out and return. You will be asked to return to the office periodically for interviews. A toll­free helpline has been established to answer questions about unemployment insurance or help resolve problems with claims. The number is 1­800­437­9136. If you live in Marion County, please dial 232­6702. You may also refer to the Claimant Handbook for detailed information.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law for Employees Resources