What Can I Do If I Am Denied Unemployment Benefits?

You have the right to appeal a determination affecting your rights to benefits. You have 14 days from the date the Eligibility Determination was mailed to protest. Your protest must be made in writing and must be signed. Mail or hand­deliver your protest to the local Job Service office that made the determination. Make sure you include your Social Security number on your protest and the reasons you disagree with the determination. The Appeals Bureau will notify you of the date and time of the hearing.

All hearings are held via a conference telephone call. At the scheduled time for the hearing, a representative of the Appeals Bureau will call you, your employer, a Department of Labor representative, and any witnesses that are to appear at the hearing. A lawyer or anyone else may participate in the hearing to help you.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law for Employees Resources