What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?
If you have been denied benefits, you can either request reconsideration or file an appeal. Your request must be in writing, either on a department form or by letter, and filed within 10 calendar days after the date the notice was mailed to you.
If you request reconsideration, the Unemployment Insurance Division will decide whether the decision can be reversed; if it cannot, then it may be forwarded as an appeal to the Employment Security Appeals Office or issue you a redetermination affirming the original determination. You have the right to appeal a redetermination affirming the original determination.
If you request an appeal, then you have up to 30 days to file your appeal, if you have good cause for not filing your appeal within 10 days. The Employment Security Appeals Office will schedule a hearing and notify you and other interested parties of the date and time of the hearing.
If the appeals officer affirms the UI Division's decision denying you unemployment insurance benefits, you may file for judicial review by the Hawaii Circuit Court.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
- How Do I File For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
- How Much Money Can I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- What Is The Tax Rate For A New Employer?
- How Do I Register As An Employer With The Unemployment Insurance Division?
- When Do I File The Tax Reporting Forms?
- What is the minimum wage in Hawaii?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- What Is The Law Regarding Required Paydays?
- Please Explain The New Hire Program.
- How Can An Employer Report?
- What Action Can I Take If I Feel I Have Been Discriminated Against?