Does Paying An Employee By Salary Exempt Them From Overtime?
No, paying an employee a salary does not make exempt them from overtime. The employee must meet the definition of an executive, administrative, or professional employee as defined by the Labor Commissioner to be considered exempt. The employee must meet both a duties test and salary test.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in Connecticut?
- When Must An Employer Pay Overtime?
- Am I Entitled To Lunch And Rest Breaks?
- Must An Employer Provide Sick Pay, Vacation Pay Or Holiday Pay?
- If I Am Fired From My Job, How Soon Must My Employer Pay Me?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Owes Me Wages?
- Is There A Law Regarding Required Paydays?
- What Are The Criteria To Be Considered An Independent Contractor?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?
- When Should I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I File A Claim For Benefits?
- How Much Compensation Can I Receive?
- Can I Still Receive Benefits If I Am Working Part Time?
- Can I Collect Benefits If I Quit My Job?
- Can I Appeal A Denial Of Unemployment Benefits?
- Must I Hire An Attorney To Represent Me At The Hearing?
- Can I Obtain My Personnel File From My Employer?
- Should I Continue To File Claims For Benefits While Awaiting A Decision From The Appeals Division?
- What If My Former Employer Appeals And The Decision Is Made In Its Favor?
- When Will I Be Informed Of The Appeals Division Decision?
- How Do I Determine Whether Or Not I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- How Much Must An Employer Pay In Unemployment Taxes?
- Can An Employer File Their Quarterly Unemployment Compensation Returns Online?
- Can You Explain The Connecticut New Hire Program?
- What Methods Are Available For Reporting New Hires?
- Please Explain The Connecticut Apprenticeship Program.
- Is There Any Financial Assistance For Apprenticeship Programs?
- What Happens When I Complete My Apprenticeship?
- Please Explain The Customized Job Training (Cjt) Program.