What is the minimum wage in Connecticut?
The minimum wage for adults working in the State of Connecticut is currently $8.00 per hour (as of January 1, 2002). Minors may be paid 85% of the minimum wage for the first 200 hours of employment. The minimum wage for waiters and waitresses will be $6.70 per hour less 29.3% of the minimum wage ($1.96 for tips) or $4.74 per hour. All state and federal taxes are required to be paid on $6.70, and then take the tip deduction.Please note that Connecticut's minimum wage will increase to $6.90 per hour as of January 1, 2003.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- When Must An Employer Pay Overtime?
- Does Paying An Employee By Salary Exempt Them From Overtime?
- Am I Entitled To Lunch And Rest Breaks?
- Must An Employer Provide Sick Pay, Vacation Pay Or Holiday Pay?
- If I Am Fired From My Job, How Soon Must My Employer Pay Me?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Owes Me Wages?
- Is There A Law Regarding Required Paydays?
- What Are The Criteria To Be Considered An Independent Contractor?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?
- When Should I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I File A Claim For Benefits?
- How Much Compensation Can I Receive?
- Can I Still Receive Benefits If I Am Working Part Time?
- Can I Collect Benefits If I Quit My Job?
- Can I Appeal A Denial Of Unemployment Benefits?
- Must I Hire An Attorney To Represent Me At The Hearing?
- Can I Obtain My Personnel File From My Employer?
- Should I Continue To File Claims For Benefits While Awaiting A Decision From The Appeals Division?
- What If My Former Employer Appeals And The Decision Is Made In Its Favor?
- When Will I Be Informed Of The Appeals Division Decision?
- How Do I Determine Whether Or Not I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- How Much Must An Employer Pay In Unemployment Taxes?
- Can An Employer File Their Quarterly Unemployment Compensation Returns Online?
- Can You Explain The Connecticut New Hire Program?
- What Methods Are Available For Reporting New Hires?
- Please Explain The Connecticut Apprenticeship Program.
- Is There Any Financial Assistance For Apprenticeship Programs?
- What Happens When I Complete My Apprenticeship?
- Please Explain The Customized Job Training (Cjt) Program.