Can I get a temporary or restricted license after a DUI in South Carolina?

By: LawInfo

Yes. A temporary alcohol restricted license allows the person to drive without any restrictive conditions pending the outcome of an administrative hearing. If the suspension is upheld at the administrative hearing, the temporary alcohol restricted license remains in effect until the Department issues the hearing officer's decision and sends notice to the person that the license is suspended. Afterward, the driver may apply for a special restricted driver's license if the driver is employed or enrolled in a college or university. The special restricted license permits driving only to and from work and school and in the course of work or school. To obtain this "route restricted" driver's license, the driver must also show the Department that work or school is further than one mile from the driver's home and that there is no adequate public transportation in between. If the suspension is overturned at the administrative hearing, the person shall have his driver's license reinstated and is not required to complete the ADSAP program and must be refunded any enrollment fees paid to ADSAP.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Drunk Driving Defense Articles

Search LawInfo's Drunk Driving Defense Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More