What happens when I’m stopped for DWI in New Mexico?
If you have been stopped by a police officer for suspicion of drunk driving, you will generally be asked to produce your license and registration as well as your proof of insurance. You will also be asked if you have been drinking. At this point the officer will be looking for signs of intoxication. If he believes you may be intoxicated, he will ask you to exit the car and take a series of field sobriety tests.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Drunk Driving Articles
- Drunk Driving Defense Laws in New Mexico
- New Mexico DWI Laws: FAQ
- Should I agree to take Field Sobriety Tests in New Mexico?
- Should I agree to take a Chemical Test when stopped for DWI in New Mexico?
- What should I do if I have been arrested for DWI in New Mexico?
- What is the difference between a MVD (Motor Vehicle Department) and A Criminal DWI case in New Mexico?
- What happens in a Criminal DWI case in New Mexico?
- What happens in an Administrative (MVD) DWI case in New Mexico?
- How long does it take to have a MVD hearing after being charged with DWI in New Mexico?
- Can I still drive after I was arrested for DWI in New Mexico?
- Can I get a limited license after a DWI in New Mexico?
- Can I be charged with child abuse along with DWI in New Mexico?
- What happens if I kill or injure someone while driving drunk in New Mexico?
- After I got arrested for DWI in New Mexico, my license was taken from me. Can I get it back?
- If I am convicted or plead guilty to DWI in New Mexico, will I be required to have an Ignition Interlock Device placed on my car?
- What will happen if I do not complete court ordered DWI classes or community service in New Mexico?
- What is the term used for s drunk driving offense in New Mexico?
- When will I be arrested for DWI in New Mexico?
- Is drinking and driving a crime in New Mexico?
- What is the legal drinking limit for drivers in New Mexico?
- Where can I find a New Mexico DWI Attorney?
- What are the DWI penalties for a driver under 21 in New Mexico?
- What are the DWI penalties for a Minor in New Mexico?
- What happens if I drive with a DWI suspended license in New Mexico?