What will happen if an Officer pulls me over for suspected drunk driving in Michigan?
The officer will ask you to get out of the car and will instruct you to perform a series of "field sobriety tests." These are standard physical ability measures and they include: Reciting the alphabet from A Z, and counting backwards; Walking heel to toe along a straight line; Standing on one foot for a few seconds; In addition to these tests, some officers typically have certain field sobriety testing devices which they use. One such device is a breath meter (PBT) which you blow into, another is a light to shine in your eyes in order to test your pupil reaction. It is very important that if you suffer from any chronic physical problems, such as difficulty with your balance, problems walking or with your legs or feet, or problems with your lungs or eyes that you inform the officer of these things before you go through the field sobriety tests.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Drunk Driving Articles
- Drunk Driving (OWI) Laws in Michigan
- Michigan OWI Laws: FAQ
- Can an Officer pull me over for no reason in Michigan?
- What should I say if I am stopped by a Police Officer in Michigan and he asks if I have been drinking?
- What should I do if I'm asked to take a Field Sobriety Test in Michigan?
- What happens if the Officer believes that I have not performed the Field Sobriety Tests satisfactorily under Michigan Drunk Driving Law?
- How long will a drunk driving conviction stay on my record in Michigan?
- Can I have my drunk driving conviction expunged in Michigan?
- What terms are used for drunk driving offenses in Michigan?
- What is the legal drinking limit for drivers in Michigan?
- Where can I find a Michigan Drunk Driving Lawyer?
- Is drinking and driving a crime in Michigan?
- What are the penalties for a drunk driving conviction in Michigan?
- What happens if I refuse a Breath Test under Michigan Drunk Driving Law?
- Am I required to take a Chemical Test under Michigan Drunk Driving Law?
- What happens if I refuse a Chemical Test under Michigan Drunk Driving Law?
- What are the drunk driving penalties if you are under 21 in Michigan?