Can I get my license back in Massachusetts before my OUI case is resolved?
In almost all OUI arrests, an operator's license is suspended at the time of arrest for either a breath test reading of .08 percent BAC or above or a refusal to submit to a chemical test. In Massachusetts, a license to operate a vehicle is viewed as a privilege not a right. It is a condition of possession of a license in Massachusetts that you submit to a chemical test if you have been arrested for OUI. If you refuse to submit to a chemical test after being arrested for OUI, or if one is taken and your blood to alcohol ratio is above the legal limit, your license will be temporarily suspended. In both categories, persons who have had their license suspended, pursuant to an OUI arrest, have a right to an immediate appeal to the RMV for the reinstatement of that license. This particular appeal deals with strictly technical issues relative to the suspension of the license by the arresting police department and the adherence by that department to the procedures the RMV requires for that suspension. A personal or professional hardship is not a legitimate reason that would allow the RMV to reinstate your license for these two categories of suspensions. It is important that you have a qualified and experienced criminal defense lawyer review all of the paperwork relative to our OUI license suspension to determine whether or not you may qualify for a reinstatement prior to disposition of your case.
Additional Drunk Driving Defense Articles
- What are the penalties for an OUI in Massachusetts?
- What terms are used for drunk driving offenses in Massachusetts?
- When will I be charged with a OUI in Massachusetts?
- What is the legal drinking limit for drivers in Massachusetts?
- Where can I find a Massachusetts OUI Lawyer?
- What happens if I am under age 21 and charged with OUI in Massachusetts?
- Can I refuse a Chemical Test under Massachusetts Drunk Driving Law?
- Can I challenge a Refusal Suspension in Massachusetts?
- How long will I lose my Driver’s License if I refuse a Chemical Test in Massachusetts?