What does 'Under The Influence Of Alcohol' mean under Kentucky DUI law?
The prosecutor only has to prove a motorist was "under the influence of alcohol." This type of case is pursued even if no alcohol content test result exists from a blood, breath or urine test. Most cases in which a suspected impaired driver refuses a chemical test of his or her blood, breath or urine are prosecuted as "under the influence" cases. Cases in which the driver does not test above the legal limit can be prosecuted as "under the influence" cases. Whenever a driver has taken a blood, breath, or urine test, the Commonwealth may attempt to introduce the result. Motorists who have an alcohol concentration of less than 0.05 are presumed NOT under the influence of alcohol. There is no presumption one way or the other if a person's alcohol concentration is 0.05 and above but less than 0.08. However, the Commonwealth can attempt to refute the "presumption" by other proof (e.g., a collision, atrocious driving, disregard for the safety of others, slurred speech, etc.).
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Drunk Driving Articles
- Drunk Driving Defense Laws in Kentucky
- What is the legal drinking limit for driver’s in Kentucky?
- What is a 'Repeat Offender' under Kentucky DUI law?
- What are the DUI penalties for a driver under 21 in Kentucky?
- What Is the penalty for driving on a DUI suspended license in Kentucky?
- Do I have to surrender my license plates or have an Ignition Interlock Device installed in my vehicle after a DUI in Kentucky?
- Do I have to submit to a Chemical Sobriety Test under Kentucky DUI law?
- What is a Pre-Trial License Suspension under Kentucky DUI law?
- May I contact an Attorney prior to making a decision about testing?
- What is the term used for a drunk driving offense in Kentucky?
- Where can I find a Kentucky DUI Lawyer?
- Can my DUI be reduced to a lesser charge in Kentucky?
- When can I be charged with DUI in Kentucky?
- Kentucky DUI Laws: FAQ
- How long will I lose my license if I refuse to consent to a Chemical DUI Test in Kentucky?
- Must I submit to field sobriety tests under Kentucky DUI law?