Why can the court suspend my driving privileges if they are already suspended?
It is both statutorily prohibited, and a logical impossibility, to suspend driving privileges that have all ready been administratively revoked by the ADLRO. However, it is still quite common for judges to order that your license "... shall be suspended for 90 days, to run concurrently with any period of administrative revocation." A license suspension for a first offense always involves 30 days of absolute suspension. During the 30 day period there is no driving, anywhere, for any reason. However, when a conditional driving permit is properly granted, for 60 of the 90 days, you will be permitted to drive:
(1) to and from work; or
(2) to and from work and for work related purposes.
The conditional permit can also enable you to drive to and from any driver's education classes that are ordered by the court, and to and from any courtordered alcohol abuse treatment or counseling. However, it does no good to receive a conditional permit as part of a criminal sentence, unless you either beat you ADLRO case, or are awarded similar conditional driving privileges by the ADLRO.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Drunk Driving Articles
- Drunk Driving Defense Laws in Hawaii
- Hawaii DUI Laws: FAQ
- Can blood alcohol evidence be kept out of the trial in Hawaii?
- What are the criminal penalties for DUI in Hawaii?
- Can the Court suspend my driving privileges for DUI in Hawaii?
- Will I have to go to treatment after a DUI conviction in Hawaii?
- What is the Administrative License Revocation Office (ADLRO) in Hawaii?
- What is a Notice Of Revocation & Hearing Request under Hawaii DUI Law?
- What happens at the ADLRO hearing in Hawaii?
- What terms are used for drunk driving offenses in Hawaii?
- Is drinking and driving a crime in Hawaii?
- When will I be arrested for DUI in Hawaii?
- What is the legal drinking limit for drivers in Hawaii?
- Where can I find a Hawaii DUI Attorney?
- When can I be convicted of habitual DUI under Hawaii Law?
- What are the penalties for a felony habitual DUI in Hawaii?
- What are the DUI penalties for a driver under 21 in Hawaii?