What are the penalties for a DUI conviction in Georgia?
The penalties for a 1st DUI conviction in Georgia include:
- Jail time ranging from 1 day to 1 year,
- Fines ranging from $300 - $1000, plus surcharges,
- Driver’s license suspension up to 1 year,
- 40 Hours of Community service,
- $210 Set license reinstatement fee, and
- Possible Probation.
Penalties for a 2nd DUI conviction in Georgia include:
- A Minimum mandatory 48 hours in jail, possible 90 days to 1 year,
- Fine of $600-$1,000,
- License suspension of 3 years,
- Minimum 30 days community service
- $210 Set license reinstatement fee,
- A mandatory clinical evaluation and, if indicated, completion of a substance abuse treatment program at the offender's expense.
Penalties for a 3rd DUI Conviction in Georgia include:
- Minimum mandatory 15 days jail time,
- Fine of $1,000-$5,000,
- License revocation for five years,
- Minimum mandatory 30 days community service
- Violator's name, photo, and address published in local newspaper at violator's expense,
- Declared as habitual violator, the license plate for his/her vehicle will be seized by the court and forwarded to the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety,
- Face a mandatory clinical evaluation and, if indicated, completion of substance abuse treatment program at the offender's expense.
Speak to an Experienced Drunk Driving Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified drunk driving lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local drunk driving attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Drunk Driving Articles
- Drunk Driving Defense Laws in Georgia
- Georgia DUI Laws: FAQ
- What happens after a DUI arrest in Georgia?
- How quickly will I lose my driver's license if I am arrested for DUI in Georgia?
- What can happen under Georgia law if I refuse to take a chemical or field sobriety test when I am suspected of DUI?
- How can I get my license reinstated if it is administratively suspended for DUI in Georgia?
- What are the penalties for a Minor convicted of DUI in Georgia?