What are the penalties for a DUI conviction in Georgia?
The penalties for a 1st DUI conviction in Georgia include:
- Jail time ranging from 1 day to 1 year,
- Fines ranging from $300 - $1000, plus surcharges,
- Driver’s license suspension up to 1 year,
- 40 Hours of Community service,
- $210 Set license reinstatement fee, and
- Possible Probation.
Penalties for a 2nd DUI conviction in Georgia include:
- A Minimum mandatory 48 hours in jail, possible 90 days to 1 year,
- Fine of $600-$1,000,
- License suspension of 3 years,
- Minimum 30 days community service
- $210 Set license reinstatement fee,
- A mandatory clinical evaluation and, if indicated, completion of a substance abuse treatment program at the offender's expense.
Penalties for a 3rd DUI Conviction in Georgia include:
- Minimum mandatory 15 days jail time,
- Fine of $1,000-$5,000,
- License revocation for five years,
- Minimum mandatory 30 days community service
- Violator's name, photo, and address published in local newspaper at violator's expense,
- Declared as habitual violator, the license plate for his/her vehicle will be seized by the court and forwarded to the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety,
- Face a mandatory clinical evaluation and, if indicated, completion of substance abuse treatment program at the offender's expense.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Drunk Driving Articles
- Drunk Driving Defense Laws in Georgia
- Georgia DUI Laws: FAQ
- What happens after a DUI arrest in Georgia?
- How quickly will I lose my driver's license if I am arrested for DUI in Georgia?
- What can happen under Georgia law if I refuse to take a chemical or field sobriety test when I am suspected of DUI?
- How can I get my license reinstated if it is administratively suspended for DUI in Georgia?
- What are the penalties for a Minor convicted of DUI in Georgia?