Who should NOT take Avandia?
Many patients with heart failure should not start taking AVANDIA.In addition, if you have any of the following medical conditions, you should talk about them with your doctor before you consider taking Avandia:
- heart problems or heart failure.
- if you take: insulin. nitrate medicines such as nitroglycerin or isosorbide to treat a type of chest pain called angina, any medicines for high blood pressure, high cholesterol or heart failure, or for prevention of heart disease or stroke.
- type 1 (“juvenile”) diabetes or had diabetic ketoacidosis. (These conditions should be treated with insulin.)
- type of diabetic eye disease called macular edema (swelling of the back of the eye).
- liver problems - pr had liver problems while taking REZULIN® (troglitazone), another medicine for diabetes.
- pregnant or plan to become pregnant. (AVANDIA should not be used during pregnancy. It is not known if AVANDIA can harm your unborn baby.)
- If you are a premenopausal woman (before the “change of life”) who does not have regular monthly periods, AVANDIA may increase your chances of becoming pregnant.)
- breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed. (It is not known if AVANDIA passes into breast milk. You should not use AVANDIA while breastfeeding.)
- if you tany prescription or non-prescription medicines, vitamins or herbal supplements. (AVANDIA and certain other medicines can affect each other and lead to serious side effects including high or low blood sugar, or heart problems.)
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Avandia Articles
- What is Avandia?
- Is Avandia dangerous?
- Can Avandia cause heart failure?
- Has the FDA issued any safety alerts regarding Avandia?
- Has the FDA conducted studies to determine the safety of taking Avandia?
- Have our congressional representatives proposed any new laws or regulations regarding the safety of Avendia?
- Do patients who've suffered harm from a dangerous drug have a right to bring a lawsuit or a class action lawsuit?