What If Mediation Doesn't Work?
If our attempts at mediating your complaint have been unsuccessful and there is nothing more we can do, there are still several things you can do for yourself. For example, you could try negotiating through an industry trade association to solve your problem, or you could sue the business in Small Claims Court (where you don't need a lawyer and your claim is $4,500 or less) or you could hire a private attorney. Maine law often allows you to recover your lawyer's fees if you are successful in proving that a business violated consumer laws in dealing with you. We will advise you at the appropriate time of all these options if your attempts at mediation have not proven successful.
Additional Consumer Protection Articles
- What Is Complaint Mediation?
- How Does Our Consumer Mediation Service Work?
- How Do I Start The Mediation Process?
- How Long Does It Take?
- New Information, Settlement, Etc.
- What Complaints Are Not Mediated?
- What If Maine Law Is Violated?
- Does Mediation Work?