Can You Collect Support Even If The Other Parent Lives In Another State?

Yes. If a non­custodial parent lives in another state, ORS/CSS will either send a notice to withhold income directly to the parent`s employer in the other state or will ask that state to pursue child support collection. Even though each state operates independently from another, each is subject to Federal rules regarding how a child support case is handled. Once the case is sent to the other state`s child support agency, the case becomes that state`s case, and ORS/CSS cannot dictate how the case is handled.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More