What if the non-custodial parent is self-employed and refuses to pay?

There are instances where the non­custodial parent will not pay child support, and go out of his/her way to avoid the responsibility. These are the most difficult cases that do involve a great deal of time and effort. There are many provisions that now give the Child Support Enforcement Division the ability to force the issue when we have to. Parents who are in arrears on child support payments now face the possibility of having his/her occupational or professional license revoked, and/or driver's license revoked.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources