My Income Dropped Dramatically When I Was Laid Of My Job And Cannot Make My Child Support Payments. Is There Anyway I Can Lower My Child Support Payments?

Unexpected, significant decreases in income can be a reason to request modification of your child support order. Before incurring the additional expense of a court­mandated change, one route is to ask the other party to agree to a temporary reduction or deferral (if need be). If successful, put the terms in writing, sign, and date the document, preferably with the advice of a lawyer. If that does not work, ask the court to modify the amount of the child support owed in the future, explaining your major and unavoidable drop in your financial situation, that the income is not likely to be replaced soon, and why the change would be fair. Most courts are sympathetic and receptive to making necessary changes in child support when you have experienced a financial setback. Again, paying a lawyer to help can pay for itself dozens of times over.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources