I Need To Establish Paternity For My Child, And The Father Lives In Another Part Of The Country. How Does This Work?

Because state paternity laws vary widely, it can be difficult to establish paternity across state lines. Most states have either a long­arm statue or other laws such as UIFSA that enable them to establish jurisdiction over the alleged father in another state, or refer the case for prosecution in the state where the father lives. If an attempt is being made to establish paternity according to the laws of the other state, the UIFSA petition sent to the state must include all the information required by the laws of that state. Frequently, genetic tests will be ordered to help the court in the other state determine paternity. Ask your caseworker about specific information about the laws in your state and the state where the other parent lives.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources