Can A Child Support Order Be Changed Or Modified?

Yes. An order for child support can be changed or modified any time there is a material change in circumstances from the time that the initial child support was issued. A material change in circumstances can take many forms. The change can be the result of changes in the parent’s financial situation - such as appreciable difference in the amount of income earned, loss of a job, a large inheritance, or a change in the amount of time spent with the child. A material change in circumstance can also be the result of a new situation for the child - such as large medical expense, need for special education, or other unexpected necessities.

Keep in mind that all states require both parents to be financially responsible for their child while the child is a minor, which generally means until the child reaches the age of 18, unless the child has some type of disability.  In that case, depending upon the severity of the disability, the parents may be responsible for supporting the child for the child’s entire life.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources