Discontinuing Child Support Services

If the custodial party is receiving CalWORKS and/or Medi­Cal and then stops receiving either one, by law the FSD or local child support agency must continue to enforce the support order. If the custodial party does not want the continued services of the FSD or local child support agency, he/she must notify the office in writing that he/she no longer wants FSD or local child support agency assistance. At that time, the FSD or local child support agency will only pursue collection of assigned arrears (past­due welfare arrears) and will notify the non­custodial parent to pay current child support directly to the custodial party if current support is still owed.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More