I Cannot Get Health Insurance With My Job, But My Ex-Husband Has Good Benefits Where He Works. Can He Be Required To Carry The Children?

Yes, OCSE is required to petition the court to establish a medical support order in all new or modified support orders unless the custodian and the children have satisfactory health insurance benefits other than Medicaid. This is required whether or not health insurance coverage is available to the noncustodial parent at a reasonable cost or modification of current coverage to include the child is immediately possible.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources