Why Do Child Support Payments Go To The State When The Custodial Parent Receives Public Assistance?

Parents are required to assign their rights to any unpaid child support debt and continuing child support to the state for the time they are approved for public assistance benefits.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources