What Happens To The Monthly Payments And Any Child Support Debt After The Custodial Parent Has Gone Off Public Assistance?

Custodial parents who move off public assistance are entitled to the regular monthly child support payment the same as before they went on assistance­as long as the support order is still in effect. Money collected is applied first to the ongoing monthly support. Any additional money is applied first to cover any missed payments owed to the custodial parent since assistance ended. If all monthly support has been paid since assistance ended, any extra money will be applied to the debt assigned to the state. If the custodial parent is still entitled to some of the arrears owed prior to the assistance, that will not be repaid until the debt owed to the state is paid.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources