How Can Repossession Take Place?
- The buyer does not have to be notified before the repossession occurs.
- The creditor cannot commit a crime, use abusive language, enter a home without permission, or take an item if the owner physically resists.
- Cars can be towed from public or private lots.
- A car can be towed from the owner's driveway if no other car is moved
- A car cannot be towed from the owner's garage.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Creditors Rights Articles
- What Things Can't A Collection Agency Do?
- Can A Creditor Take A Post-Dated Check?
- How May A Debt Collector Contact The Debtor?
- May A Debt Collector Contact Anyone Else About A Debt?