How Do I Garnish Wages?

An order of garnishment may be obtained from the clerk of the court. The order is served upon the employer (called a garnishee) of the debtor, who then has a period of time to file an answer with the court about the employment status of the debtor and the specifics about the debtor's wages. If the employer fails to answer, the employer may become liable to the creditor. There are limits on the number of times per month that a creditor can garnish a debtor's wages and the maximum percent of the debtor's paycheck that can be garnished.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Creditors Rights Articles

Search LawInfo's Creditors Rights Resources